After learning the relevant knowledge of the course, I have a basic understanding of education. I think my main purpose is to enable people to learn the knowledge more efficiently. For this, I need to prepare carefully and make sure that they can keep up with my rhythm. Given the video of my previous speech, I want to make a small improvement to my power point to make it more in line with the principles of pedagogy. I used some techniques, such as Representational graphics, Modality Principle, and Signaling.

The core meaning of Representational graphics (Cobbs, 2021) is that teachers need to use images to get the attention of the educated and try to turn things into images. If necessary, you need to add some explanatory information below the image. Accordi    ng to this theorem, I think I should add as many pictures as possible so that people can have a deep understanding of what I have explained through pictures.

After this is the Modality Principle. This concept tells us that “In fact, students who viewed the PowerPoint presentation that only included the on-screen text, had more effective retention and transfer of knowledge” (Oberfoell & Correia, 2016). Based on this reasoning, I think I should modify my PowerPoint in another aspect, which is the perspective of the text. I think that when doing pure theoretical study, if there is an opportunity, we should avoid all image interference and only use the most concise text to explain. In this way, the educated can quickly grasp the essence of learning and master the concept like a fish in water. After this, educators should use pictures to explain or diverge the concept, so that the educated can fully understand this knowledge point. So, I made this modification in the new PPT.

The last point is that “the signaling (or cueing) principle” (Gog, 2014). This means adding a little clue in the middle of a large piece of content to complete the guidance for the educated. This makes it necessary for me to insert some small hint words in my PPT. In the new PPT, I have done the least this kind of improvement.

In conclusion, I made my PowerPoint to three improvements which are Representational graphics, Modality Principle, and Signaling. I would use this three concepts for my further progress of education.

Reference List

Cobbs, A. (2021, April 21). Multimedia principle. Cognitive Theory of Multimedia Learning. Retrieved November 7, 2021, from https://sites.google.com/site/cognitivetheorymmlearning/multimedia-principle.

Gog, T. van. (2014, August 5). The signaling (or cueing) principle in multimedia learning (Chapter 11) – The Cambridge Handbook of Multimedia Learning. Cambridge Core. Retrieved November 7, 2021, from https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/abs/cambridge-handbook-of-multimedia-learning/signaling-or-cueing-principle-in-multimedia-learning/E1DB12F23DEC7C6BABF198FB991523F4.

Oberfoell, A., & Correia, A. (2016, August 14). Understanding the role of the modality principle in multimedia learning environments. Wiley Online Library. Retrieved November 7, 2021, from https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jcal.12157.

This is the old PowerPoints

Here is the new one